Diagnostics and Medical Treatments
Precisely-dosed and targeted application of lasers enable today's health sector with highly effective treatment methods. Possible applications range from surgery and cosmetic treatment to fabrication of patient-specific artificial joints and dental prostheses.
Typical Biomedical Applications of Scanners
- Surgery in ophthalmology Laser vision correction methods (microkeratome lasik, femto lasik, minimal invasive lenticule extraction) or laser cataract surgery
Retinal photocoagulation to treat conditions including diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration
- Biomedical and ophthalmic imaging High-resolution, non-invasive diagnostic imaging via OCT (optical coherence tomography) and SLO (scanning laser ophthalmoscopy) e.g. for measuring retinal thickness or detecting glaucoma and macular degeneration
- Confocal or multiphoton microscopy High resolution imaging for use in research and biomedical applications
- Laser 3D printing / additive manufacturing Fabrication of individualized implants or joint and dental prostheses, as well as customized surgical tools
- Long-lasting and high-resolution labeling (laser marking) of artificial joints and treatment tools
- Laser treatments in dermatology Laser skin resurfacing, a gentle approach for reduction of scars and wrinkles, long-lasting hair removal and treatment of skin and blood vessel changes (spider veins, red veins, port-wine stains)
- DNA sequencing for personalized medical approaches and biomedical research
Lasers as Tools
By transforming lasers into universal tools, scanning solutions help to add functionality and value to materials. SCANLAB's broad palette of scanning solutions fulfills demands for higher speed, more precision, greater efficiency or improved environmental compatibility.