Medical Laser Treatments
Nowadays, lasers are tried-and-true medical instruments that precisely and gently treat human tissue without "touching" it. Short-pulse lasers offer the additional advantage of very low thermal penetration depth, practically eliminating damage to peripheral tissue.
No wonder laser scan systems find use in an ever-growing number of applications for healing or relieving disease pathologies and ailments.
Laser Eye Treatments
Surgical eye treatment via lasers and scanners includes a number of new techniques to increase patient comfort and shorten operative and recovery times, e.g.:
- correction of vision defects (Microkeratome-Lasik, Femto-Lasik)
- cataract removal
- laser photocoagulation (treatment of retinal disease)
Laser scan systems quickly prevailed for these applications, and even made many of them possible in the first place, thanks to characteristics such as:
=> high mirror speeds and freely programmable ablation structures
- precise and accurate
=> highest point accuracy and best position stability
- reliable and safe
=> dependable position detection and highest quality
For these medical applications, SCANLAB offers standard and customer-specific solutions, e.g.:
- intelliSCAN (III. se. de) fully supports iDRIVE technology, including real-time ability to monitor all key state parameters such as mirror positions/speeds, power supply voltages and temperature
- RTC5 (20-bit) and RTC4 (16-bit) boards for synchronously controlling scan systems and lasers in real time
- varioSCAN dynamic Z-axis unit for 3D laser beam deflection
- varioSCANde Z-axis unit with digital linear encoder for enhanced Z-position accuracy
- dynAXIS galvanometer scanners with analog position detectors for apertures from 3 to 30 mm
- dynAXISse / de galvanometer scanners with digital position detectors (encoders) offering exceptionally low drift and dither for apertures from 10 to 20 mm
- Customer-specific scan solutions
Laser therapies in dermatology or aesthetic medicine employ highly diverse laser types, depending on the specific case, e.g.:
- diode lasers (805 nm) for hair removal
- dye lasers (595 nm) for treatment of scars, veins and pigmented lesions
If treatment of extensive surfaces is necessary, then these systems are combined with scan units to maintain uniform results.
Here, SCANLAB offers its palmSCAN, with compactness particularly suitable for handheld laser systems. Its ergonomic design and light weight ensure ease of handling and fatigue-free usage. This OEM subsystem's construction facilitates straightforward integration into existing equipment. Standard threads allow mounting onto an articulated arm or fiber-coupled optic. The palmSCAN's light-metal housing is easily cleaned and disinfected.
Additionally, SCANLAB offers customer-specific scan solutions based on components such as: